- Last Updated on 27 May 2015
The SIDC (Soins Infirmiers et Développement Communautaire, an organisation based in Lebanon) sub-regional knowledge hub, KH-SIDC, is one the three MENAHRA sub-regional Knowledge Hubs alongside KH-Ar-Razi (Ar-Razi University Hospital for the Mental and Neurological Diseases) and KH–INCAS (Iranian National Center for Addiction Studies), which were launched as knowledge hubs of the MENAHRA (Middle East and North Africa Harm Reduction Association) network under the project titled “Strengthening Civil Society’s Role in Delivering Harm Reduction Services in the Middle East and North Africa”.
KH-SIDC is located in Lebanon and serves the following countries: Bahrain, Egypt, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Palestine, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Oman, Syria, Yemen, and United Arab Emirates.
To become a reference resource centre for training, networking, advocacy, and capacity building on harm reduction and HIV prevention services in the Middle East and North Africa.
To equitably advocate for and deliver harm reduction services, and to provide technical assistance and guidance for civil society organisations in the development and delivery of harm reduction services to promote the health, well-being and safety of marginalised drug-using populations.
1. To serve as a repository of information and training on harm reduction in the Middle East and North Africa
2. To engage in networking and advocacy for the delivery of harm reduction services within the Middle East and North Africa
3. To provide assistance for harm reduction services for most at risk populations
4. To create innovative models, within the context of the Middle East and North Africa, that challenge national responses to rising drug use and HIV infections
1. Multiple regional and local training workshops on a variety of topics:
- Harm reduction principles and rapid situation assessment
- Opiates substitution therapy
- The role of media in the advocacy for harm reduction
- Needles and syringes programmes
- Programme management in harm reduction
- Advocacy workshops for decision makers
2. Provision of educational sessions on Harm Reduction
3. Development of IEC material on the rights of drug users and other topics
4. Provision of technical assistance to CSOs working in the field of harm reduction
5. Follow-up with the media to produce articles and public service announcements (TV spots) for advocacy on harm reduction for the MENA region
6. Site visits to countries in the sub-region to support and assist in the advocacy process for harm reduction programmes